- 4 Lbs. Beef bones (approximately 12 pieces)
- 2 Lbs. Oxtail
- 5 Quarts Water
- 1 ½ Onions (halved)
- 2 Shallots (peeled/ whole)
- 3 Teaspoons of Fish Sauce
- 1 Teaspoons of Sugar
- 4” Piece of Fresh Ginger
- 4 Star Anise Pods
- ¼ of a Cinnamon Stick
- ½ of a Cardamom Pod
- 1 Tablespoon Salt
- 6 Peppercorns
- 3 Cloves
- Large stock pot add the beef bones and the oxtail and cover with water
Don’t brown the bones as you want a clear broth and browning the bones will make broth cloudy.
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F.
- Places onion halves, shallots and ginger on a sheet pan (no oil) and roast for 25 minutes.
- After 25 minutes add to the stock pot, now you can also add the remaining ingredients
- Bring the stock to a simmer and hold there cooking for 8-10 hours
Make sure broth does not boil, just keep a nice steady simmer
- Strain stock with cheesecloth and a colander ensuring no fat, seeds, bones or sediment end up in the finished stock.
- The stock is ready to be used or let cool and put in gallon zip lock bags- freeze for future use.