- 1 Loaf of Plain Old White or Wheat Bread
- 1 Bundle of Asparagus
- 1 8 oz. Block of Cream Cheese
- 8 Strips of Cooked Bacon (crumbled) or 8 Slices of Prosciutto Ham
I tried it with both together and it does not add to the flavor. I suggest the bacon since its less expensive and packs a bigger flavor.
- 1/4 Teaspoon of Garlic Powder
- 1/4 Teaspoon of Chives
- 1/4 Teaspoon of Lemon Juice
- Optional Lemon Zest
- 1 Tablespoon Table Salt
- Paprika for Sprinkling
- Soften cream cheese on the counter for one hour.
- Wash, dry and trim asparagus spears and set aside.
Tip (If you want the asparagus to be a bright green color, microwave the spears for 60 seconds and plunge into an ice water bath).
- Cut the crust of the bread slices and set aside.
- Mix the cream cheese and meat together with the lemon juice.
- Sprinkle some of the salt on a cutting board and place a few slices of bread over it and roll until it is flat. You may need to turn it over and roll on the other side depending on the bread.
- Carefully spoon some of the cream cheese mixture onto the bread, add 2 -3 asparagus spears and fold the bread into a triangle. or You can cut the bread into strips and wrap around the asparagus bundles like a belt.
Tip (to keep it folded dab a small amount of the cream cheese mixture on one of the ends before folding or joining).
- Bake at 375 F for 15 -20 minutes until golden.