- 2 lbs. of Ground Beef
- 5 Italian Sausages (I used hot)
- 20 Oz of Pasta (Casserole Elbows, Rigatoni or Penne)
- 2.5 Cans of Whole Tomatoes
- 1 Can of Tomato Paste
- 1 Large Onion ( Roughly Chopped)
- 2 Bell Peppers (Roughly Chopped)
- 3 Cloves of Garlic (Minced)
- 1/2 Tablespoon of Garlic Powder
- 1/2 Tablespoon of Onion Powder
- 1 Tablespoon of Sea Salt
- 1/2 Tablespoon of Black Pepper
- 1/2 Teaspoon of Celery Salt
- 1/2 Tablespoon of Olive Oil
- Grated Cheese for Serving
- Chopped Fresh Basil for Serving
- Cut the peppers, onions, and garlic and set them aside.
- Cut the sausage into bite-sized chunks ( I do this to semi-frozen sausages as it is easier to work with them).
- Add the oil to a large frying pan and cook the sausage on medium to medium-high heat until browned.
- Push the sausages to the sides of the pan and ass the ground beef in the middle.
- Cook until the beef is fully browned (no pink).
- Drain the grease from the pan reserving some for frying the vegetables.
- Place the meat mixture into a large pot.
- Add the peppers to the frying pan and cook until they start to glisten then add onions and cook until translucent.
- Add the garlic last and turn down the heat. ( Don’t let the garlic burn)
- Add the tomato paste to the meat mixture and stir.
- When the vegetables are done add them to the pot and stir gently.
- Add the spices to the pot.
- Turn the pot to medium-low and let it simmer for approximately 45 minutes to an hour.
- Cook the pasta and drain well.
- You can add the pasta to the pot or plate separately with the mixture on top.
- Plate with some grated cheese and chopped basil