- 1 and 1/2 Lbs. of Large Shrimp (with the heads removed)
- 1 Teaspoon of Peppercorns
- 1 Teaspoon of Celery Seed
- A Bay Leaf
- Half of an Onion (rough chopped)
- 1/2 Cup of White Wine or Beer
Option: Cajun Style skip all the above ingredients and just add:
- 1 Tablespoon of Old Bay Seasoning
- Prepare your shrimp by slicing down the back of the shrimp and removing the shrimp’s digestive tract. The larger the shrimp the bigger it is.
- Remove all of the shrimp’s shell except the very end of the tail.
- Boil 2 quarts of water with your chosen seasoning from this recipe.
- Get a bowl ready with ice water for plunging the shrimp in as soon as they are cooked.
- When the water is boiling add the shrimp and lower the heat to medium. Watch the pot as they will boil over and make a mess if you are not careful.
- As soon as the shrimp turn pink and or are firm you will want to remove them (they cook quickly so this is a matter of 3-5 minutes depending on the size of the shrimp.)
- Plunge them into the ice water bath and let them cool.
- Once they are completely cold, dry them off and refrigerate if not ready to plate
- Serve over a bed of iceberg lettuce with our cocktail sauce recipe