- 2 Cups of Chicken Livers
- 4 Eggs (hard-boiled)
- 1 Medium to Large Onion (chopped)
- 1/4 Cup of Chicken Fat or 1/8 Cup of Bacon Fat
- 2 Tablespoons of Butter
- 1/4 Cup of Fresh Parsley (chopped)
- 1 Teaspoon of Thyme
- 1/4 Teaspoon of Cayenne Pepper
- Salt and Pepper to Taste
- 1/4 Cup of Cognac, Port, or Madeira wine
(Each one offers a bit of a different flavor. The Cognac has more of a bite, as it is a strong grain alcohol product. The others are wines made from grapes).
- Fry the chicken livers in the chicken fat or bacon fat until pink (do not overcook).
- Deglaze the pan using the alcohol you selected (wine or cognac).
- Add the chopped onion to the same pan and cook in the juices left by the chicken livers, cook until browned.
- Chop the hard-boiled eggs.
- Combine the chicken livers, onion, egg, and remaining ingredients in a bowl and blend together with an immersion tool until creamy.
- Garnish with some parsley.
- Serve with wheat crackers, pita, melba toast and or celery.
If you are making the pate’ for a holiday gathering you can use a cookie cutter to mold the shape of the pate before plating it.