- 1 Large Butternut Squash
- 2 Cups of Chicken Stock
- 5 Mild Italian Sausages
- 8 oz. of Ricotta Cheese
- 1 Cup of Mozzarella Cheese
- ½ Cup of Fresh Sage (chopped)
- 1 Stick of Butter
- 2 Eggs Beaten
- ½ Cup of Heavy Cream
- 1 Small Onion
- ½ Apple (chopped)
- 1 Box of No Bake Lasagna Noodles
- ⅓ Cup of Olive Oil
- ½ Teaspoon of Salt
- Pepper to Taste
- ½ Cup of Grated Parmigiano Reggiano
- Prepare the squash by peeling and cubing squash into ¼ inch chunks, discard seeds.
- Toss in 2 tablespoons of olive oil and a pinch of salt.
- Roast on a lined cookie sheet at 350 degrees F for 35 to 40 minutes until softened and set aside.
- Remove sausage meat from the casing and discard the casing, brown the sausage meat and when meat is half browned add onion and apple until all meat is browned and apples are soft, then remove from heat.
- Prepare the sage butter sauce by melting the butter at medium-high high heat in a frying pan.
- Add the sage to the butter and let it crisp as the butter browns, set aside to cool.
- To prepare the cheese, mix the ricotta and beaten eggs with the cream and sage butter mix.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Assemble the lasagna by adding a small amount of squash mixture to the bottom of a baking pan.
- Add the first layer of the no bake lasagna noodles.
- Spread the cheese mixture and then drop dollops of squash and spread evenly.
- Drizzle a bit of chicken stock on top and grate some Parmigiano Reggiano.
- And repeat layers until pan is full, ending with the pumpkin and lastly the cheese.
- Drizzle last of chicken stock and add a handful of mozzarella cheese, sprinkle some grated Parmigiano Reggiano, some cinnamon, salt and pepper.
- Bake for approximately 45 minutes, longer if you have a deep dish.
Tips and Variations
If cooking longer than 45 minutes cover with tinfoil for the first 20 minutes.
For a leaner option substitute turkey sausage for the mild Italian sausage
For a vegetarian option replace chicken stock with vegetable stock, and omit sausage.