When you think about the July 4th holiday, you may think of fireworks, cookouts, and ice cream. I have a new Independence Day treat for you to make this year. I call it: Red, White, and Blue Shortbread!
Shortbread is a creamy, buttery treat that requires very few ingredients. I add a sweet streusel topping for an extra treat.
This recipe can be adjusted if you prefer different flavors of fruit. It is perfect for any holiday, party, or gathering.
- 2 cups flour
- ½ cup plus 2 Tbsp. sugar
- 2 sticks butter, salted and softened
- 1 Tbsp. sugar
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- 4 Tbsp. brown sugar
- ½ cup flour
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Line a 9×13 baking dish with non-stick foil or parchment paper.
- Cream butter and sugar.
- Add flour and mix until well incorporated.
- Press dough into prepared pan. Dough will not cover the entire pan. Spread to cover ¾ of the pan
- Mix all topping ingredients into a bowl and mix with your hands until crumbly.
Instructions-Assembling The Shortbread
- 2 Tbsp. strawberry jam, blueberry jam, and fig jam
- Add each jam flavor 1 at a time, creating 3 rectangular areas (see photo).
- Sprinkle with ½ of the topping.
- Bake for 25 minutes.
- Carefully remove from the oven and top with remaining topping.
- Bake for 15 more minutes.
- Allow to cool and slice into 1-inch bars. You will end up with 3 different flavored bars to serve