This is a filled cupcake that you can decorate to look just like the ones in the grocery aisle. Not only are they fun to make but are delicious.
For The Cake
- 1 ¼ Cup of Flour (sifted)
- ¾ Cup of Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
- ½ Cup of Dark Brown Sugar
- ½ Cup of Sugar
- 2 Eggs
- 3 Tablespoons of Butter (softened)
- 1 Cup of Milk (2 % or whole)
- ⅛ Teaspoon of Salt
- 1 Teaspoon of Vanilla extract
- ¾ Teaspoon of Baking Powder
For The Filling:
- ⅔ Cup of Shortening
- 2 Teaspoon of Vanilla
- ¼ Teaspoon of Salt
- 5 Tablespoons of Milk
- 4 Cups of Confectioners’ Sugar
For The Chocolate Ganache Topping:
- 8 Oz. of Bittersweet Chocolate
- ½ Cup of Cream or Half/Half
- 2 ½ Tablespoons of Butter
- Combine flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a bowl, set aside.
- Cream butter and both sugars (white/brown) together until creamy.
- Add 1 egg in at a time, mix in the vanilla and milk until all are incorporated.
- Add ¼ cup of the flour/cocoa mixture at a time and mix, scraping down sides each time.
- Fill baking cups ¾ full (not anymore more) with the mixture.
- Bake at 365 for 15 minutes.
Beat all together on high for 2 minutes and put in a piping bag with a round tip, or you can use a freezer ziplock bag with corner cut).
Chocolate Ganache Topping Instructions:
Melt all together in a double boiler (a medium saucepan with 2 cups water/metal bowl sitting on top).
Putting The Cupcakes Together:
- Make sure your cupcake is completely cooled.
- Cut a quarter-sized hole out of the top of each cupcake (saving the top).
- Squeeze a bit of the frosting into each cupcake, and put the top back on the cupcake.
- Pour 1 tablespoon of the Hot Chocolate Ganache over the top of each cupcake and let it cool.
- Once the ganache is cooled, pipe small continuous circles over the top creating the design.